Moving to a new country, going through a
breakup, losing a job, or living with mental conditions are very challenging.
Yet, there’s no reason to suffer alone when one can choose to join hands with
others and let the power of connection and group support encourage and heal us.
In the absence of such social support in
Beijing, CandleX established the peer support group in October, 2015, with the
goal to provide psychosocial support to Beijing community. It provides a safe
and supportive environment for people living in Beijing to share personal
thoughts and experiences in small, confidential gatherings.
To understand this project, or if you’d
like to read our 1st, 2nd and 3rd year support group review, please visit
1. Participants: Our support groups are for people living with mental health conditions such as depression, anxiety or suicidal thoughts, or that have suffered trauma such as domestic abuse. The support group is especially effective for newcomers who are in situations of lack of social support, experiencing shame and guilt of having depression or people who present an elevated risk of mental illness.
2. Time: 19:30-21:00 every Tuesday
3. Location: Near Hujialou station (details will be communicated via a confirmation email after 4pm, the day before each meeting)
4. Language: English
5. Max number: 7 people each session
6. Fee: 80rmb or 30rmb
7. Confidentiality: All the information provided when signing up is strictly confidential and is used to allow a safety screening in order to keep the integrity of the support group and the safety of its participants.
Ps: Please make sure you sign up before Monday 16:00 if you want to attend the peer support group that Tuesday, or your registration will be taken as the registration of peer support group next week.
Content and Approach:
During the meeting, the core elements are as follow:
1. Share our stories and feelings, and let others help you and give you emotional support when dealing with the difficult emotions alone.
2. Help each other recognize the importance of tending to and promoting our own self-care
3. The meeting is generally conducted in talking and sharing, but we offer other approaches to make sure that we feel relaxed and comfortable to share, including some guided meditation, breathing exercises, etc. There is one facilitator to throughout the workshop, monitor the progress of each session and facilitate group interactions.
4. Keep in touch with each other, as we have a WeChat group (that you may join after attending at least one meeting) where you are free to choose an Accountability partner, with whom you will check up on each other regularly and help each other reach your goals, as well as make sure you are safe and not alone during tough times, especially if you are having suicidal thoughts. As an accountability partner you may help give each other the clarity needed to move ahead, motivate one another to make plans and to be consistent with them...etc
Peer Group Principles
1. We shall not be held responsible for group member’s safety. We are all peers. There are no professionals in this group. If you are in a crisis, please seek professional immediate at the same time. Your will find useful on our crisis page, visit: https://www.candlex.cn/crisis-support
2. All information shared with the group is held confidential. All new participants will need to register first for eligibility screening.
3. no graphic description of suicide, self-harm and death as it may trigger some of the attendees.
4. Please note that this is a Peer Support Group, there will be no professional therapists attending. CandleX will not be responsible for people engaging in self-harm or suicidal ideations. By signing up the peer support group, I understand
and agree to release CandleX and its staff or volunteers from any or all
liability connected to my own participation, including but no limited to
any forms of self-harm or suicide.